As the cultural dumpster fire rages, much truth is becoming visible in its light. For years the ideological left has been working in the shadows to destroy the historical timbers supporting our way of life. Areas such as academia, journalism, law, politics, entertainment, the arts, and religion have all been strongly influenced or completely overtaken. However, we have been given a golden opportunity because the dismal failure of leftist ideas is on full display in cities ran by those promoting them, and in the hateful, hypocritical rhetoric and actions of young protestors. We may not get a better chance to offer a positive contrast. Here are some examples:
- Leftist ideology always favors control, but we value personal liberty:
- Civil Liberty-the core principle that we are “endowed by our Creator” with rights against those who would abuse power to silence speech and limit freedoms
- Economic Liberty-the core principle of a system with socio-economic mobility where people can escape poverty and pursue their dreams
- Religious Liberty-the core principle of “free exercise” of faith and worship that transcends personal belief to protect the public expression of it including the gospel
- Leftist ideology favors identity politics, but we value all people as God’s creation:
- God gifted us with infinitely diverse personalities, skills, physical features, and skin tones and we are to appreciate their benefits, not weaponize them for a political agenda.
- Unlike those who draw attention to a select few, all people should have a right to pursue life, liberty, and happiness…all lives actually do matter.
- Instead of everyone having hyphenated labels that segregate, divide, and antagonize, we believe in one unifying title…American.
- Leftist ideology blames America for the world’s problems, but we celebrate our nation’s contributions:
- There were no perfect founding founders or previous leaders, but there is much to celebrate and many people to honor. One looking into the history books (at least those free of post-modern revisionism) will find numerous stories of Americans of all walks of life displaying personal sacrifice, generosity, a can-do attitude, and moral strength.
- God has blessed us immensely and used us greatly to influence world history. As a country founded on Judeo-Christian principles, we have spent trillions funding global benevolence, shed much blood defending others, offered refuge to millions of immigrants, defended human rights abroad, commissioned missionary work around the world and encouraged global economic development for decades.
The bottom line is this; we have a country, a history, a people, and an ethos (yes ethos) worth teaching and defending. If you agree with that notion, don’t feel as if you’re in the minority because you are not. Isolation, marginalization, and intimidation is a useful tool of the Marxists who would have you feel defeated while remaining silent. Obviously, there are imperfections and continued work to do, but we are a great nation and should take pride in being American.
Here are some ways to do just that:
- First, familiarize yourself with what your kids are learning, then take time to talk to them, listen to them, share the truth with them, and if necessary, find answers along with them.
- Second, don’t buy the lie that speaking truth will compromise your Christian testimony. That’s right, a pastor is telling you that it’s Biblical to have a backbone. Loving people doesn’t mean standing silently by while the radical left steals an entire generation. Speak the truth because of
- Third, discover and tell others about those writing, making videos and working to advance truthful news, education and public policy. There is an amazing, (even heroic) group of young people in the media that are boldly speaking out and they are making a difference.
- Lastly, don’t lose hope. Paul encouraged the Galatians to “not grow weary while doing good” (Gal. 6:9). Discouragement is a thief. Take courage in standing for good and encourage others to as well!