When studying a Bible passage, consider starting with these great questions I recently heard:
- What stands out about it?
- Is there anything you don’t like about it (makes you uncomfortable)?
- Is there anything about it you don’t understand?
- Is there a sin to avoid?
- Is there a command to obey?
- Is there a promise to claim?
- Is there an example to follow?
- What does it say about us?
- What does it say about God?
- How should my life/the church change as a result of studying it?
Of course, prayer should be part of studying scripture; praying specifically for the Holy Spirit to “guide into all truth” (John 16:13). Commentaries and Christian authors are great helps (I use them regularly), but only the Bible is God’s Word (and always relevant).
(Thanks to Rando Acres for passing on this list…good stuff!)