One of the cool things about the seed parable is that Jesus explained it. Found in Luke 8:4-15, it describes 4 different results of seed falling onto the ground. A combining of the story & explanation produces these pictures:
- The Hard Soil-no fruit at all (seed stolen by the devil)
- The Rocky Soil-grows quick, but soon withers (fell away during testing from lack of roots)
- The Thorny Soil-growth choked out by thorns (the cares & pleasures of this world preventing maturity)
- The Good Soil-growth, maturity and fruit (a heart desiring to hear, do and endure)
Here are 3 quick reminders:
- The seed contains life-Jesus emphasized the seed (the Word) and the soil receiving it, not the sower. The seed itself produces life, not the one handling it or the clever use of it.
- The results aren’t up to me-It’s not productive to attempt forcing growth where it’s not happening, nor is it right to claim credit when it does (1 Cor. 3:6-7).
- Time is the test-Eventually, the nature of the soil and the response to the truth will become clear; be prayerfully patient.
I encourage you to be a sower. Whether it’s spoken, written, emailed or tweeted; God’s Word is life-giving. Share it today!
Series: “Thoughts on Luke” – Luke 8:4-15