With the national dialogue heating up over gay marriage, here are 5 quick thoughts to consider:
- The premise is flawed. The term “Gay Marriage” is an oxymoron…like trying to discuss “dry water”. We don’t have the privilege to define marriage, God does. He made us “male and female” (Genesis 2:27), and pronounced; “a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.” (Genesis 2:24).
- God’s way is best. Biblical marriage is far superior to any counterfeit models. God formed Eve specifically to complete Adam. A man and woman fit together in every way. Physically, emotionally, and psychologically, God designed us to compliment each other. It doesn’t take much observation to see how boys and girls are wired different. We augment each other’s weaknesses, and keep one another’s extremes in check. It’s an amazing process of two lives merging together into something greater than the sum of two parts.
- Understand the motive. The attempt to destroy what God designed is rebellion. Our core problem as humans is struggling against God’s authority. Throughout history, we’ve chosen to worship idols built with hands, deny His existence, and refuse His directives. Seeking human peer validation for something unnatural reveals the same motivation.
- The home is vital. Our society depends on the home to build and shape character. Life experiences growing up have tremendous effects on adult life. We’re already seeing the implications of broken homes, and same-sex households will only continue the downward trend.
- Remember to love. There are no special categories of sin or sinners. Romans 3:23 says, “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” Some sins have greater consequences, but we all need God’s grace and forgiveness equally. The truth of scripture should be spoken in authentic love. There is forgiveness and acceptance to any who trust Christ as Lord (Romans 5:8 & 8:1, II Corinthians 5:17).