With major companies changing their websites and Instagram accounts to include colorful arrays, here are five things the rainbow reminds me of:
- Beauty – looking up after a raincloud’s passing and seeing the colors displayed vividly across the sky reminds me of God’s creative power.
- Eternity – seeing a complete rainbow, (for example, looking out a plane window or misting water into the air on a sunny day) reveals a complete circle. With no beginning or end, it reminds me of God’s eternal nature- The Alpha and Omega (Revelation 1:8).
- Diversity – God could have made us colorblind, with one skin tone; but He created different races with the ability to see color (except for that one kid I knew in school who never wore the same color socks).
- Glory – Ezekiel and John both describe the majestic glory of God manifested in many ways, and among them is a brilliant rainbow, “And He who sat there was like jasper and a sardius stone in appearance; and there was a rainbow around the throne , in appearance like an emerald.” – Revelation 4:3 NKJV
- Salvation – After the Great Flood, God placed a rainbow in the sky as a covenant with mankind to never destroy the earth with water again (Genesis 9:8-17). It’s a steady reminder of the story of Noah; that God is holy and righteous, cannot tolerate sin, and has provided an escape from eternal destruction for anyone who fears Him and places their faith in Christ (Heb. 11:7).
God owns the rainbows; we would all do well to think of Him when we see one.